Thursday, July 24, 2008

one week down, five more to go...

... until my first charter job will be finished...  Hard to believe it's been a week, and we're already back around to Thursday.  Once again, Keith was right that you lose track of time on boats...  life must go on, so there is no such thing as "the weekend" as a yachtie.  We party every moment we can--whether that is Tuesday morning or Saturday night.  

It has been raining since yesterday evening... like pouring piss out of a boot, as my old pal Mike used to say.  The water came down in sheets making waves upon the waves and blurring the horizon into one wall and floor of water.  The effect was beautiful, but it made Mark and Shelton cuss because they had to scramble to get all the towels and cushions inside before they ruined.  It's funny.  We're on a vessel made for water, but much of what goes INTO it gets ruined by water...  cushions and towels dry rot, brass sinks spot and corrode...  I dunno...  one of the earth's great ironies, eh?

Anyway, I'm the late girl tonight, but I don't know how late everyone is going to stay up.  Today was pretty low key.  They don't seem to like Martha's Vineyard very much...  Tim hasn't even gotten off the boat, but their son and grandkids have been here every day, so maybe that's their draw.  I was able to get off the boat for a few hours.  Went straight to the legendary "Black Dog Bakery" to see what goodies they had.  Apparently, their t-shirts are more popular than their food, so I bought a couple shirts to take back home.  Nice quality, and the German chocolate cake was the BEST EVER!!!  At that point, the rain clouds seemed to be building, so I headed back to the boat, and sure enough, as I stepped onboard, the clouds opened again.

I've only got a few more minutes before I have to be back on... grrr...  Was pretty sluggish today...  my back was cramping, so I tried to hide down in the laundry room once Kaki and Donna Marie came in.  Was not feeling the whole "guest service" vibe today...  Would have much rather had a glass of wine and curled up with the Chronicles of Narnia.  

Gotta jet...  wanted to get some shut eye before the marathon evening ahead of me.  Leave me some love...  

1 comment:

Roberta said...

So I have to say I love your Blog!! I'm moving down to fort lauderdale to try and become a yachtie as well. In sept. Can I ask you which crew house you stayed at?...I'm trying to decide which one is the best location and price. are you on myspace or anything?...I would love to keep in touch with someone who has already been thought this!