Tuesday, July 1, 2008

in the blink of an eye...

Okay, so the past.... mmmm.... 24 hours have really shown me how things can change in the blink of an eye...

First off, today I was supposed to journey north to visit my dear Percy, but last night about midnight I got a call from Lisa telling me that she and Luis had been in a pretty bad car accident with a drunk driver. The Tahoe was totaled, and Lisa and Luis were taken to the ER. Lisa is stylin a neck brace, and I haven't heard back about Luis. When I spoke with Lisa, he was getting checked out. I PRAY that things are okay... With one son in college, things can't be easy around their house, and a back and neck injury never *helped* anyone.

Second, I had an interview about a yacht that is both private and charter -- meaning the owners rent the yacht out for weeks at a time to defray the ridiculous cost of running these floating palaces. The itinerary for the yacht is to head up to Alaska in the next few days, spend some time in a shipyard in California, and then head off to Tahiti and New Zealand!! If I got the job, I would have to leave in the next day or two because there will be guests aboard on Friday. The captain is reviewing candidates in San Diego right now, so there's a strong possibility that I would not get the job, but things like this happen all the time.

At any moment, I could get a call about a boat leaving for who-knows-where, and I'd have to pack up and be ready to go. This industry is definitely not for the faint of heart or the ultra-planners. Its rather exhilarating to think that I may be in another place tomorrow or next week. Yacht plans are about a solid as Jello in the summer sun... jiggly and never quite reality until it is the past...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here watching a documentary on Third Day and thinking of you...

:o)

I hope your friends are okay...and they heal quickly. And I am sorry you did not get a chance to see Percy.

Wow...I am not sure I could live hanging by a moment like a yachtie does...but I am sure you will do it with grace and class :o)

Much love...

Lisa who thinks too much said...

Thanks for writing about us. That's sweet. We're ok. Diagnosis - whiplash. The last two days were painful. Most of the soreness is gone now. We went to Disney with my sister yesterday and ate at Boma. The BEST food I've EVER had. My nieces stayed with Percy. Kelli took him for walks, and Megan brushed him out. He was treated like a king - or a baby?

Good luck on your job opportunity. We have our fingers crossed.

Lisa