Sunday, July 20, 2008

BREAK TIME!!

Okay, so I have a three-hour break before I have a late night tonight... the owner's daughter is bringing her friends over, and last time she did this, they stayed up until 2:3o AM!!!!  Anyway, I'm supposed to be back up to serve breakfast, but tomorrow is a "short day", so I should be finished by 10 PM...  that's one good thing about this job...  I haven't spent a CENT since I arrived on the boat simply because I haven't had a CHANCE to leave the boat...  I can even get shampoo and toothpaste on here!!!!  Kaki is leaving in a bit to get my very own pair of Crocs because I've been wearing a pair two sizes too small, and I think that's why my feet have been killing me.  All the cushioning is in the wrong spots!!  I still need to make that picture.  Today's pretty foggy, so I'll probably wait until tomorrow. 

I gotta admit something...  I got REALLY frustrated this morning...  I understand that I am new and inexperienced and I have a LOT to learn, but sometimes it seems like I can't do ANYTHING right...  I really do appreciate Kaki and Donna Marie.  They are fantastic stews and great examples, and maybe I'm a little bit special ed... hell, I don't know.  But, I just don't see what the big deal is if we leave the bedspread untucked around the edges.  In FACT, I think it looks BETTER untucked...  it hides a multitude of flaws...  And another thing... Does anyone REALLY notice if we turn down the bed the same every night?  Especially the guests???  I understand that the master's suite needs more TLC and attention.... for cryin' out loud!  They're paying for this!  They SHOULD get the towel monkeys and chocolates on their pillow... but the guests?  I mean, if we spend more than 15 minutes in a room during an evening turn down (preparing the suite for bedtime), I think we're taking too long!  We have laundry that continues to pile up...  One day, all I'd like to do is focus on laundry... today alone, we changed a king and queen sized bed...  Yesterday it was two twins, and tomorrow, well change another king and another two queens...   And all the sheets have to be pressed, so that adds about 20 minutes PER set -- if I'm lucky.  Add on top of that towels for every time we check heads (bathrooms) and they've used the shower or the sink... OH, and did I mention that we have to dry out the shower and sinks every time they are used?  Apparently designers are the least practical people on the face of the earth, and they had to install silver and brass plated sinks.  Everybody knows that water is a metal's worst enemy...  and even though there is a beautiful finish on these metals, they still attract water spots like flies to kool-aid.  

One thing I am enjoying, as I mentioned earlier, is setting up for meals...  for lunch today, we had an aqua-ocean theme...  turquoise straw placemats with shells sewn on the edges, turquoise linen napkins folded in a fan and held with silver fish napkin rings.  In the center, we used a hurricane lamp with shells inside and scattered shells around the outside.  I wanted to get some candles, but we ran out of time, and I thought Kaki was going to have a shit fit because the guests (all 10 of them!) were ready to be seated and we weren't ready.  We just got so caught up making drinks for all of them that time got away from us.  

I'm thinking about making a list of daily duties for the stews to keep up with...  I feel like there is always something I'm forgetting...  so much to remember, so little brain space...

Okay, going to take a nap before I have to get back in the swing of things.

Later.

2 comments:

Lisa who thinks too much said...

Ah Laina, what's a towel monkey?

Michael Bennett a.k.a Big Unit said...

Laina:

Hang in there. I'm a bit worried that your intellect is not going to find what it needs while ironing sheets or scrubbing toilets. But here is some things to make you laugh:

Parking Lot Drinkfests before Dr. Zheng's class

Embedded messages in PowerPoints

Writing from the heart (Levyism)

Maybe you should stop by our house when you're back here. We'll do some drinks, have some laughs, and you can meet Trixie-the newest dog from hell.

By the way, I am teaching at the high school I GRADUATED FROM! How cool is that?

peace,

Michael