Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I hate waves.

Well, I made it to Martha's Vineyard in one piece... minus the contents of my stomach and my pride.  Oh well...  I don't have my "sea legs" yet...  Spent the entire four-hour ride holed up in my cabin feeling EVERY wave that hit the bow of the boat.  Keith had said that the ocean outside Newport harbor was pretty rough, and BOY was he RIGHT!!!  Once I hurled though, I felt much better...  

Everything was fine at first.  I geared up with my wristbands, chewed Travel gum from Europe, and took my Bonine.  I ate a light breakfast of toast and water, and had a good night's rest.  Once we went underway and hit the rough waters, I got hot, the floor kept moving, and it was all over for me.  I managed to finish "stowing" the cabins and made it downstairs and to the trash can in perfect time to see my breakfast again.  Niiice.

I feel fine now that we are docked.  In a few minutes, I'll head back upstairs to serve dinner to our nine guests (who are going HOME at the end of the day!!), and I'll be up late to serve cocktails -- strong ones so they'll go to bed early! -- and prepare for tomorrow's adventure!

I must say, I've noticed that I'm making some improvements with my stew work...  I find that I take pride in having clean cabins and shining sinks -- the damn guests keep USING them and making them NOT shiny!  Since we're ON the subject, who in their RIGHT mind would put such a water-unfriendly material as a SINK?!  How STUPID!  Anyway, I digress...  I've also discovered that I'm pretty much the domestic goddess...  I can keep up the laundry, decorate the table, and keep the heads and beds in proper order.  But, I can't claim all the credit...  So without further ado, I would like to thank the following people:

Mommy -- the original domestic goddess who was determined to NEVER allow herself to be a slave to her home, but prided herself on having a domicile of cleanliness and tranquility.  She taught me how to separate colors, how to properly iron pants, that I can't get every "nook and cranny" of space if I don't move anything, and which cleaners do what jobs.   She is a firm crusader against the war on laundry, never relenting in her quest to have an empty laundry room floor.  

Clifton -- who taught me that procrastination pays negative dividends.  Why put off til later what needs to be done now?  Inevitably, "later" will introduce its own set of problems.  Taking preventive measures and getting jobs done while there is still no stress, will always save more stress later.  

Daddy -- for teaching me the value in patience and persistence.  Working with others is always a challenge, but if I am patient and bide my time, life will be more tranquil and everyone will be happier.  In addition, "stick-to-it-ive-ness" is key in success with everything in life -- especially in this job.  There are always heads that need attention, pillows that need fluffing, dishes to wash, laundry to iron.  Just when I think it's all finished, another item gets added to the list.

Herryn -- my trainer when I worked at Outback Steakhouse.  She was better known as "Hitler" because she was so stringent on EVERYTHING she did.  And the first night I was with her, I wanted to quit, but my mom wouldn't let me.  In the end, Herryn taught me to be thorough, take pride in my work (even if it is cleaning a toilet), and work hard.  I also learned from her that what seems hard at first will in time become routine.  

Those are a few of the lessons I've managed to carry with me to this new adventure...  I've also learned that work on a boat is NEVER finished, only put off until later; I need time to recharge if I'm going to do ANYTHING right; and a sense of humor and a smile go much farther than etiquette ever could. 

Enough for now...  It's almost time for me to don my black shirt and gear up for the night shift.  I have until Friday to come up with a plan for how I'm going to keep my stomach on the next leg of our journey.

No comments: