Sunday, August 31, 2008

Coming Home

We pulled into Ft. Lauderdale (or Liquordale as the boys call it!) on Tuesday evening...  from there, I pulled a busy couple days getting the boat set up for the shipyard -- bagging linens, inventorying dish ware, stowing decorations...  In the evenings, I was able to cut loose with the rest of the crew...  On Tuesday evening, Carrie and I headed to the crew house to pick up my beloved car!  She was safe and sound, albeit a little dirty, and waiting patiently for my return.  Then we hiked over to Waxy's for some drinks.  Molly and Georgia met us there where I met some of the new house mates -- Tac, Phil, and Mark have all gone their separate ways to Bahamas, France, and Alaska, respectively.  Chris, Mark, and Boysie joined us at Waxy's where we finished off the evening and dragged ourselves back to the boat.  

Wednesday evening, I stayed in because I was SOOO tired.  Everyone went out and brought me pizza back.  The sweethearts!

Thursday evening, we stayed on the boat drinking leftover beer from the charter -- and believe me, there was PLENTY of it!  At one point, Mark pulled out a water gun and started randomly shooting us.  Boysie got in on the action and brought out the super-soaking-torpedo gun and proceeded to drench me from shoulders to shins...  I was wearing a white tank top, too.  NIIIIICE.  I retaliated by getting my OWN torpedo gun filled with water from the ice chest and dousing Boysie.  Everyone had a nice laugh at our expense.  I then pulled out my guitar for an impromptu concert on the deck.  Boysie wanted to know why I was working on boats with a voice like mine.  I told him he was drunk, but he then informed me that he was friends with David Bowie and some other musicians...  Don't know what that was all about, but at one point, he proposed to me saying that he'd still mean it once he sobered up.  

Friday, Chris and I left for Jacksonville -- I offered to take him to his mom's so he could help her pack for her move to Boston and so he could pick up his truck.  We hit a TON of traffic around Palm Beach and only made it to Vero Beach before we were whooped.  Neither of us had been to the small coastal town, but we both thought it was a VERY nice place to vacation -- mostly residential and quiet, even for a Friday night!  I must be getting old when I prefer the night life to be quiet!

We took advantage of the opportunity to sleep late, and only emerged our rooms when we were called by the front desk reminding us of the 11 am check out!  Hehehe...  From there we took A1A up the coast, enjoying the scenery and the crazy mailboxes!  We rolled into Jacksonville around 6 because we stopped for lunch and shopping in Cocoa Beach.  Chris's mom insisted that I spend the night because there was no way I'd make it all the way home that evening.  Always one to buckle under peer pressure, I relented and agreed.  She's a very sweet woman.  We went out for sushi and grocery shopping -- she was provisioning for about ten people to come in from Louisiana running away from Gustave...  

This morning, I left around 10 and made it home at 5... the closer I came, the heavier my foot was!!!  And, let me TELL you!  It feels GREAT to be back.  The first thing I did was hug and kiss Percy...  It was SO good to see him again.  He's a bit shy of me -- pretty mad for leaving him like this -- but he's laying right here on the bed with me.  I already have plans to meet up with Jenn for lunch and then Button for dinner.  Tuesday, I have a dog training session, Friday I leave for Athens to spend the night with Hannah-Leigh...  I'm thinking I need to invest in a planner to keep all my plans straight!!  

So, tonight, I am back at home, and it's weird...  I've been gone for almost three months and so much has changed, yet it's still very much the same.  It makes me smile to know that no matter how far away I may roam, there is still a place on this earth that will welcome me with open arms and a hot meal and a comfortable bed.  

No comments: