Monday, August 18, 2008

Last day...

Well, we've MADE it!  I've got a few more minutes of break left before I'm late girl on the last night of charter...  It's kinna sad actually.  I'll miss the family.  Once you spend a month with people, you either love or hate them.  I love them.

We had a crew meeting in the bridge this afternoon to discuss our tip.  I won't talk about money here, but just suffice to say it was DOUBLE my month's salary.  I'm STOKED!  I've already decided the bulk of it is going to credit card debt -- pay off one and pay down on another.  I know that money can't buy happiness, but a little bit of it can buy security, and honestly, that's what I'm looking for.  

SPEAKING of security, I was wondering what I should do once I have no more debts to pay off.  I can just hole my money up in a bank somewhere, but I'd rather invest it for the future...  I have NO clue where to start with all that...  maybe I should get an "Investing for Dummies" book to give me some good information?  It's weird to think that I won't have any real expenses as a yachtie -- no rent (except for my stints in crew houses), no utilities, no car payment (once I finish paying mine off).  

In addition, I am struggling with whether or not to accept Kaki's offer to remain on the crew full time.  She hasn't *officially* offered, but she's mentioned it several times and been "training" me like I'll be around for a while...  I would really like to experience more boats, see how things are run on different vessels... get around more crew...  Then again, Kaki and Phil have been fantastic -- understanding about my seasickness, patient with my inexperience, and generous with time off...  If I stayed on for a season, that would mean that I could leave in April once the boat returns to Ft. Lauderdale from the Caribbean.  I would be working EVERY holiday -- no Cumberland at Thanksgiving, no family Christmas...  I would be able to get ahead financially, and I can sacrifice one holiday season, although I shall miss my family terribly.  I am still mulling over the decision, and I probably won't decide anything until after we make it back to Florida.  Kaki has already said that she would give me a couple weeks to sort everything out at home, so I wouldn't be expected back in FL until mid-September.  That will probably be the last time I see them until April... weird, huh?

1 comment:

Roberta said...

Im so glad to hear all your hard work has paid off for you!! as far as investing your money..there is a company that helps yachtie ...just yachties invest there money....ill try and find his information and send it to you...wouldn't hurt to call right?