Thursday, October 23, 2008

Learning and living...

My purse looks like I raided a pharmacy, and in a way I did.  Currently, I have sinus meds, cough drops, throat spray, ibuprofen, two kinds of acetaminophen, penicillin, and rolaids.  Yes, folks, you guessed it.  I'm one sick puppy...  Went to the clinic yesterday and for the first time in my 20-something years, I have acquired STREP THROAT!  

It all started on Monday when I woke up with throat and ear pain.  Went to the clinic and the nurse said it was probably sinus-related, to get some meds that would dry out the fluids, and I'd be okay.  Monday night, I started feeling better, went to Chris's house.  Fell asleep over there, and woke up Tuesday morning with body aches and chills so bad that I wanted to die.  I had on sweat pants, long-sleeve shirt, two comforters, and a blanket and I still had chills.  Chris said he could feel the heat off my back through my shirt and without even touching me.  Needless to say, I didn't move from his couch that day, and he stayed home with me that morning...  picked up some juice and medicine for me.  Eventually, my fever broke, but my throat still hurt like hell.

Woke up Wednesday morning and decided that I needed to do something about this, so I went back to the clinic.  The five-minute strep test came back a glaring positive (I was glad that I wouldn't have to wait for some antibiotics!).  So, I've been hanging out in bed all day and all night... bored to tears and itching to do something.  My body is bursting with energy, but my head feels like a 50-pound medicine ball.  I need to walk up to CVS to get myself a new toothbrush... forgot to pick one up yesterday when I was there.  

So, what have I learned from all of this?  First of all, don't get sick.  But in the case of the inevitable, always have someone who will help you when you DO get sick... fortunately, I had Chris.  I'm sure I could have found others who would have helped me, but I always hate to ask.  Third, know where you can go to get help... meaning, I had access to the minute clinic at CVS... didn't need insurance, and it saved me a LOT of money I would have spent on a doctor visit.  I'm sure there are other things I've learned from this experience, but I haven't realized them yet...  I'm just glad I'm on meds.  And I'm thankful that my mom knows so much about stuff like tylenol and advil and how much to take and when...  

In other news, the job leads continue to come at me.  Not complaining, but they all seem SO great!  It's hard to decide which one to pursue.  So far, nothing concrete has really panned out, but I think the job on Sacajawea is pretty promising.  I was supposed to start working on the boat on Monday, and then I came down with THIS, but the chief stew has been wonderful and understanding.  

At any rate, I'm starting to feel like my old self again, except for a throat that feels gravelly and looks like raw ground beef... and a head that pound any time I move too quickly.  I should feel MUCH better tomorrow, and by Monday, I'll be on Sacajawea scoring myself a J-O-B!

No comments: