Friday, January 30, 2009

Still Broke but Happy...

Okay, so I've guilt-tripped myself into writing. Not really sure what could be interesting enough to blog about, but here goes.

This week has been nice, and I can't BELIEVE it's already Friday!

Monday was rainy and gross, but Tracy and I went downtown to pick up applications from some of the up-scale restaurants.  Didn't get any call-backs... grrrr...

Monday night, I subjected Tracy and some friends to poetic torture as they all joined me at an open mic night at East Bay Meeting House. Little did I realize that we'd be forced to listen to two hours of poems before any musicians would be allowed onstage. Oh well, the real fun happened after we left anyway. I had been talking about how I had been wanting to go downtown and busk for money (play on the street). Nobody was really ready to go home, so Nathan suggested that I pull my guitar out and practice my skills. WHAT FUN! I played every three-chord song I could think of, and we rocked out.

From Explore. Dream. Discover.

Tuesday I went to Tracy's horseback riding lesson. Teddy, the horse she's riding, was obsessed with my sweater and constantly tried to pull it off me!

From Explore. Dream. Discover.
From Explore. Dream. Discover.


Tuesday night, Tracy and I went to Genesis. Worship was fantastic, the message challenging. It was nice. Last week, we went to sing Karaoke at Wild Wings... Of course, the girls made me get on stage, and I sang "Before He Cheats"... Between that and "Angel From Montgomery" I'm starting to build up some signature songs.

From Explore. Dream. Discover.



Wednesday, Tracy kept Owen and Rose. We went to Barnes and Noble to play with the train set and came back to Kimmie's house for lunch. I got out my guitar and Owen danced and played along... He's SO stinkin cute! He turns two in a few months, but I swear, he's the smartest kid... I taught him "Free Falling" and later that evening, he cracked his dad up with his new favorite song!

From Explore. Dream. Discover.

Wednesday night, I went with Nicole to St. Andrews for Bible study. The message was about allowing God to be LORD of our lives. The speaker tied it into The Chronicles of Narnia and how Aslan was more than just a comforter and protector, he was the RULER of Narnia.  Anyway, it made me wonder whether I was allowing God to be the King of my life, or if He was just a "Mr. Rogers Jesus"... some nice old man who listens to my problems and gives me a hug and puts a band-aid on the boo-boo and sends me away.  While God IS a Comforter and Protector, He should ALSO be the Sovereign Lord, the BOSS, of my everyday life.  It's so easy to forget that because He isn't going to fight and force His will.  I have to open my arms to Him and allow Him access to every part of my life.  Tough to do, no doubt.


Anyway, today Tracy and I went to see Kimmie at her office downtown and met Tracy's sister-in-law and niece for lunch.  I LOVE the homes downtown because they each have such character and historical significance.  The pics I'm posting are a few years old, but these houses look the same today...  We met up with Nathan who is working in a house up the street from Kimmie's work, and he gave us a tour of the house.  It's SO neat an well-preserved.  


From Explore. Dream. Discover.

From Explore. Dream. Discover.
From Explore. Dream. Discover.

This evening, I went with Nicole and Tracy to a prayer meeting where we prayed for an hour, read some of the Bible, and lifted up the city of Charleston.  It was quite bonding for us to do that together.  When we finished praying, we went over to Tracy's brother's house.  He had come out to open mic night, and we decided that one of these days, we were going to busk together, so he pulled out his guitars and we practiced "Sweet Home Alabama," "Free Falling," and "Angel From Montgomery."  We had a blast just jamming as Nicole and Tracy provided backup vocals and percussion...  I swear, those girls are hysterical!

Anyway, Friday I plan on going to the dog park with Tracy, Owen, and Rose.  Owen is SO cute when he plays with the dogs!  Friday evening, everyone is getting together for Misha's birthday.  I'm going to eat with them, but I can't go to the comedy club with them... I'm not strapped for cash YET, but as soon as I start paying some bills, I'll be hurting.  So, I'm sticking to FREE or REALLY CHEAP activities right now.  

As for the job hunt, I've been stalking craigslist hoping for some leads, I've posted a notice on the facebook group for Kimmie's church, and told just about everyone willing to listen that I'm looking for a job.  I've been contacted about some jobs on boats, but I'm hoping that I can stay in town for a little while longer.  Things are so great here.  But, I'll go where the Lord leads me, even if I'll miss everyone terribly.  I'm concerned about my finances, but I'm not worried.  I know that if I'm where God wants me, He will provide for my needs... it's as simple as that.  

And with that, I am going to sign off.  


No comments: