Sunday, January 4, 2009

Before You Said Goodbye...

Okay, so as ALWAYS seems to happen, just when I NEED to sleep, I can't... and my Muse decides to work overtime. So, with two hours left before I am to crank the car and begin a 12-hour journey back to the boat, I am struck with a poem that I must get out because it's too genius NOT to record. Of course, it's also midnight, so I could re-read it tomorrow and realize this is all crap, but for now, I must share my slimy, slithering, bawling new child with the world.

Before you said goodbye we were comfortable...
... like faded blue jeans with holes in the knees and frayed hems
... like a nap in a hammock, swaying with the breeze and snuggled with the sunshine
... like a fire crackling on a misty winter afternoon.

But now, I am tortured...
... like a telephone that refuses to ring, silently screaming my loneliness
... like a dog, dead on the side of the road
... like a chocolate valentine melted and forgotten.


As always, I welcome feedback, even the negative... this kinda came out of something I'm experiencing right now, but I'm not sure if we are quite finished yet. It's complicated. But I do feel tortured and forgotten... whether he means me to or not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like a starving dog, slowly dying on the side road.

BigDog Daddy

Anonymous said...

If it is meant to be, IT WILL BE! :) Please take comfort in those words.