Sunday, January 11, 2009

Stagnant Waters...

Hello there, my admiring fans...

I do apologize for being so quiet this week... things have been rather rough with my internet connection, my personal life, and well life in general.

My internet connection: We moved the boat into a garage called "The Boat House" down here in Fort Lauderdale. It's a great little idea. The boat stays covered -- clean and out of storms. But, our satellite internet is cut off. My Mac (that I STILL think rocks the cashbox) isn't picking up the Boat House's internet signal, so I've been forced to "steal" internet from the bakery across the street... THAT means that every time I want to get online, I have to step outside the garage, either sitting on the street or using the captain's truck as a desk, and *hope* that my signal will take. This has meant that emails take longer to download and send, IM conversations are touch and go, and webpages take forever to download. Needless to say, I've only been doing the "essentials". Today, however, I decided to give myself and my readers a bit of a treat and "splurge" on some iced tea at the bakery ... thus "stealing" my internet fair and square. :o) A week of internet is surely well worth the price of a drink. (It was damn good iced tea, too!)

My personal life: Heh... lets just say, things aren't working out how I'd hoped, and all I really want are some answers. My heart tells me that the absence of answers my be all I'm going to get, and I'll just have to deal with that. I'm trying to.

Life in general: I'm not where I hoped I would be at this point in my career... Still sitting in the boat yard, not moving, when it seems like everyone else is going and seeing and living the quintessential yachtie life. I don't mean to complain. I have a job and it's paying my bills. Others in the industry would most certainly LOVE to be in my shoes -- even staying still -- but... well, things just haven't worked out the way I had hoped. Funny... things seldom do.

Anyway, I was determined to get off the boat today. Yesterday I spent the day holed up in my cabin reading my buddy Krista's novel. It was WELL WORTH the time, I assure you. I couldn't put it down! She sent me the first few chapters of her first novel, and I can't WAIT to get into this one! The stinky thing about Fort Lauderdale is there isn't much to do around here unless you want to pay an exorbitant amount to park at the beach -- I could always take the bus, I suppose -- or drink yourself into oblivion. I could go to the mall, but what's the sense when I'm not in the mood to shop? I could go for a run, but I hate to run and it's a health hazard with all the crazy drivers around. It's too cold to swim, we don't have our intreped with us so I can't make Victor take me out manatee hunting... Oh well... I should make plans to do something next weekend... maybe visit my uncle Steffan's parents in Melbourne or fly up to Charleston to record some music... I really don't have the money to fly to Chuck-town, but I NEED to get some tracks laid down if I'm going to make some headway into the industry.

Okay, so that's a brief overview of where I am for those of you who love me so much that you keep up with me better than I keep up with myself... I love you SO much! Oh! And remember, when you leave me a message, make sure you leave your name at the end! Sometimes I can't tell who messaged me on here! Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There really are things to do in Lauderdale. Getting to the beach is within walking distance, or you can hop on the water taxi (is that still running?) One fun thing to do is rent a kayak, there's a place in Hollywood and probably more rental places now that are even closer. Get a few friends together and rent a car and go out to Shark Valley, part of Everglades National Park. It's great in the winter, awesome in fact. The bird life is amazing in the winter and you'll see heaps of alligators and other critters. Since you are in the boathouse for a while have you thought about getting your SCUBA certification? There are dive shops all over the place and it's fun.