Wednesday, November 19, 2008

My red high heels...

Okay, so the past 48 hours have been somewhat hectic.  I flew back to Atlanta yesterday, Daddy picked me up, and dropped me off with Mommy in Woodstock.  I had been on the phone with the other captain from the boat in New York...  Mommy and I had a marathon shopping spree at two thrift stores and Ross to get some decent clothes for my interviews up here.  So, in short, I was up at 7 a.m. and didn't get home until after 9:30 p.m..  But, my night was nowhere NEAR over.  After I brought all my purchases and luggage inside, I had a TON of laundry, packing, outfits to put together...  I didn't stop moving... RUNNING... until almost 3 a.m.  My flight left at 8, so I had to be up and out by 5.  

My flight was smooth sailing... the plane was almost empty, so I was able to stretch out across my own row.  I couldn't sleep because I was jazzed out on coffee.  Once we landed, I ducked into the bathroom to put on my tights (which are the DEVIL!), saucy red heels, and make-up.  Blair, the mate, and Bobby, the engineer, picked me up at 11 and we drove the 20 minutes to the boat.  the BEAUTIFUL boat.  IT's only a year old, so it hasn't had time to get dirty.  I hung out with the guys until 12:30 and we went to get lunch with Jon, the captain.  I liked the boys immediately.  We have similar senses of humor and I felt comfortable joking with them.  Lunch was at a busy diner in Jersey City.  The boss arrived on the boat at 3 to interview me, and we talked for at least an hour and a half before he and the captain took a "break" to talk about moving the boat.  I met up with the boys in the galley where they told me I was doing great and that I had talked to Mr. longer today than they ever had.  

After the Mr. came back from talking to Jon, we started the "real interview"...  He asked me about my music, and he wanted to see my myspace page.  The boys hooked the computer up to the television and we all listened to my music while I blushed.  They seemed impressed.  Mr. was a bit stand-offish.  Later, I turned down the bed, looked at vinyl samples for new pillows on the sun deck.  Jon wanted me to help them pick out the colors.  He then asked me to look through the galley and assess what I would move around and change if I worked in there.  I looked around, but honestly I was so wiped out that I couldn't think straight.  Eventually, Mr. ordered dinner and Jon went to pick it up.  Meanwhile, Mr. requested that I make him a "Manhattan Vivere", but there is no ice on the boat because the refrigeration is not working properly.  Jon brought ice with the pizzas... yes, the first meal I served my potential boss was pizza.  He requested that we heat the pizzas in a skillet with olive oil to make the crust crispy.  My Manhattan Vivere needed more Vermouth, but Mr. was happy that it was well-chilled.  He turned in by 9, and now I'm in the crew mess watching TV with Blair and Bobby.  Jon lives in the city with his wife and 6 month old son, Sacha.  

I'm WIPED out right now...  Not sure what to expect for tomorrow, but I'll be up around 7 to get ready for the Mr. to wake up around 8.  I won't be cooking breakfast, but I do need to have his cappuccino ready for him.  My flight leaves for Atlanta at 1, so I'll have to be at the airport by noon.  I imagine I'll have an opportunity to sit down with Jon and talk to him about the job.  

Right now, I REALLY like the boat.  The crew--the guys--rock.  I would be organizing the boat how I like it, learning as I go, and getting some GREAT experience as a solo stew.  I'll need to beef up my knowledge of table settings.  I'd also like to contact my chief stew friends to get some info from them.  These boys definitely need a woman's touch here.  Apparently, the boat has only had temporary stews, so things have remained a bit touch and go.  Their decor is basically knick-knacks that the owners have brought on board, and it doesn't really match.  But that's cool.  I'm all about surrounding myself with things I love, so whatever makes them happy.  Blair says that the Mr. loves to spend money, so this is a good sign.

What I loved EVEN more was that they guys REALLY DID help me out.  Blair helped with serving the Mr. by getting out the flatware and placemat, heating the pizza, and helping with dishes.  Jon walked me through the turn down and gave me pointers on how to make the Mr.'s drink.  In short, this team REALLY DOES work together.

So, I'm waiting for the official invite.  then it's decision time...  New Moon or Vivere?  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When are you going to post a picture of you in the tights and red high heels? Is this a new twist on the gypsy motif? Hmmmmm!

BigDog