Monday, November 17, 2008

....leavin' on a jet plane...

Okay, so I had a VERY nice chat with the owner and captain today.  The captain just text messaged me and wants to fly me up for a face-to-face interview on Wednesday.  Between flying home tomorrow and to NYC and back the next day, it seems I'll be spending a good bit of time in airports in the next few days... CRAZY!  

As Murphy's Law would have it, just as I start making plans to QUIT sitting around the crew house, I get two more job leads.  The second came as I was sitting in Smallwood's putting Keith's resume's in the notebook.  A captain looked at me and asked if I was a stew, was I looking for a job, and could I cook?  He was looking for a crew cook/stew for his 112' motor yacht.  He's picking me up tomorrow to look at the boat and then take me to the airport--saving ME some money on a taxi!  YESSS!  The THIRD job lead came from an email from Crew Network about a 120' sailboat in San Diego needing a cook/stew.  It's privately owned, family prefers simple meals, they would be going to Caribbean til April and then probably off to the Med for summer.  With both of the jobs, they wouldn't need me to start until after Dec. 1st.  So that wouldn't conflict with my recording with Kimmie or going to Cumberland with my family!

I'm REALLY excited about ANY of these possibilities simply because they would be SUCH great learning experiences.  I believe the one in NYC would be more formal and a bit more work than I am ready for, but I am going to be honest with the captain and let him know what my stipulations are.  That a professional chef would have to be hired for the charters and for longer trips with the family, a second stew would also be hired.  I am willing to start out below $3500/month, but in three months, I would like a review for a raise.  I called around to four of my crew agents and they ALL said that average salary is $3500, but one urged me to no for no less than $4000.  

SO, the next couple days are going to be QUITE interesting... literally, I'll be living minute-by- minute.  I'm still planning on going forward with the original plan of going to Charleston and Cumberland, but that all my change if I get a job offer.  The most important thing is to get a job...  Welcome (again) to the world of yachting...

No comments: