Saturday, June 28, 2008

mixin' and minglin'...

Hey there, my lovelies...

I'm back after a couple days of fun in the sun. That's right, I've been to the beach, and started the beginnings of a perma-tan (I hope). The aloe is in the freezer as we speak getting ready to chill my toasty back. As I sit, I can feel the rocking of the waves... I hope this helps me get my sea-legs.

Last night I went out to Waxy's with my roommate Molly. Her STCW cohort were going out to celebrate their "graduation" from the course. All I can say is WHAT a bunch of people!! Everyone was super sweet... Makes me excited to meet my own cohort. Anyway, Molly and I arrived at the pub before everyone and a group of British guys spotted us and invited us to sit down. They had just flown in that morning and were actually really fun! Contrary to popular belief, they had decent teeth, too.. hehehe... I hope we run into them again because I like to hear them talk.

Pretty soon the cohort started to arrive and I met about 10 people... over the course of the evening I mingled and talked with several of them... Mike's friend Bruce (not a yachtie, but a vet in the area...), Mike who was CRAZY, Richie from Perth, Australia, and Noah... Noah gets his own sentence because he's so stinking cool... Apparently, he left Chicago in April and kayaked over 1500 miles downriver to New Orleans, hitchhiked through to Alabama, SOMEHOW wound up in Ft. Lauderdale earlier this week. Like me, he quit his career to seek adventure and a perma-tan... Anyway, we had a great time chatting... We both broke out with "That's what SHE said!" at the same time and we KNEW we were going to be good buddies.

Yes, the past two evenings have been quite an adventure, but tonight I'm going to "have a quiet one" as Kim so succinctly put it. I have some money on a blockbuster card.... maybe we'll find one around here and rent Dirty Love or just watch one of Tac's... And tomorrow? Laundry!

More to come... Leave me a message... BEEEEEEEEP!

2 comments:

Michael Bennett a.k.a Big Unit said...

Laina:

Get your ass to work and leave the men alone. Jeez.

I met J. Ramsay last week. Very cool. She says hello and good luck.

We're having a party on the 4th. I'll raise several in your honor and tell all my friends about you.

Stay well.

Anonymous said...

Glad things are going well :o)