Wednesday, June 25, 2008

First day of unemployment...

Hello all!

Well, 24 hours have passed, and I'm still kickin... in FACT, today was a very encouraging day!  I was unsure what to expect... anyway, here's the rundown...

So, last night the crew house was rockin with people -- 6 others besides myself.  Some were watching TV, others were in and out going to dinner, taking calls, going to class...  it was constant movement.  I laid low, keeping to myself and just observing.  SORRY!  I'm rather shy!

I went to bed rather early.  I've had a steady headache for the past few days... stress?  nerves?  dehydration?  Whatever, so I perched in my top bunk like a trooper and tried to stay still because 1) I didn't want to FALL OFF; and B) Every time I move it creaks and jiggles...  trying to be friendly to my roommates, you know.

Anyway, I survived the night somehow and flew down from my nest around 9 this morning.  I had an agenda already prepared for today, so I immediately got dressed and out the door.  First stop was Smallwood's -- the marine outfitter up the street.  There are notebooks there where crew put their resumes and captains often refer to them for day work or even full-time employment!  Next, I went off in search of International Yachtmaster Training Institute to register for my STCW '95 safety course.  The ladies in the office were very friendly.  One was French and the other Australian.  After I registered, I interviewed with two crew agencies -- The Crew Network and Crews Unlimited.  I got some valuable insight regarding my resume and I left both interviews feeling very confident and reassured that I am qualified and able to do this job.  

So, here I am - posting to you, my faithful readers.  I just finished refurbishing my resume and business card and I am about ready to post it online.  

It's hard to believe that all of this is REALLY happening!  I mean, I've been in a holding pattern for so long -- just dreaming and reading about doing this kind of work -- and now that it's finally HAPPENING...  EEEK!  But, I'm taking this all a day at a time and thanking the Lord that He's taking care of me.  

So, now I'm off to find a collared white polo shirt...  WAL-MART!  And possibly dip my toesies in the great Atlantic Ocean...  I'll probably go out with the other yachties this evening -- rub elbows, network a little... maybe meet a cute Australian deck hand... *wink* *wink*

Thanks again for reading, and maybe soon I'll have some pics to post!  YAY!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Laina! So, you really did it? You're really in Key West? I love Key West! Thanks for sharing your experience. It is something you'll never forget. After all, I, too, left home at 28 to seek my fame & fortune. Ha. Best of luck to you. Please keep us posted. Love you, June