Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Day 11: Back to Kampala

The next morning, Kimmie and I were ready to go by 7 am. Bosco arrived at 8:30, but we didn’t make it into the sunshine until well after 9. First, I had to be re-examined by the doctor, have my discharge papers written up, pay, and be given a shot “to go” of the good stuff that knocked me out the night before.

The shot was the last thing before we left, and I was really quite scared that I wouldn’t make it long enough to take a shower, eat breakfast, and pack before I zonked out. But, after the good sleep I got the night before, the drug just made me giggly as we bounced around the Gulu streets. A “Women’s Day” parade marched in front of the Acholi Inn as we approached, so Kristoff and Sandy welcomed me in the gate. They commented about how much better I looked. I assured them that it was the shot I had been given. (Speaking of shots, I’ve figured out why alcoholic drinks are called ‘shots’. Just like the medical term that takes effect immediately, the alcoholic version ALSO goes straight to the brain and makes one the entertainment of all around. Rabbit trail, I know... so humor me.)

Miraculously, I giggled and slipped my way through a shower (AH! The RELIEF!), packing, and breakfast. But after all that, I climbed into the van and crashed. I barely remember hugging Lucy good-bye and thanking her for all she had done... Now, it amazes me at how close I feel to this woman who had been a perfect stranger 48 hours before. Emergencies tend to draw people closer, eh?

The road to Gulu was just as dusty, hot, and bumpy as it was when we first traversed it, but I was asleep for much of the ride. Kimmie said we made pretty good time considering the fact that Bosco drove SO slowly over the potholes and bumps. She said that most people passed us. I do vaguely remember the sickening smell of diesel fumes, though.

Once we got into Kampala, we first unloaded at the hotel. I wasn’t feeling very well because I hadn’t eaten much and I was exhausted (even though I slept, it was uncomfortable). We decided to get food before Kimmie and I reported in at the Kampala hospital. We walked over to the food court as usual, and I dreaded being mobbed by the servers from the various restaurants. I felt queasy and didn’t feel like eating in the first place. But, I braced myself for the onslaught and tried to think of what I might be able to stomach. I had to eat SOMETHING, and I figured rice would be the most gentle on my stomach (and the easiest to throw up if necessary). Kimmie and I ate quickly and we left with Bosco while Kristoff and Sandy stayed behind at the hotel.

The Kampala hospital was WORLDs better than Gulu, although still well-used. By the time I saw the doctor, I was wiped out from the past few days and I was starting to hurt again. The doctor said that he wanted a new ultrasound and new blood work, but the labs were closed, so I’d have to return in the morning. He did give me stronger pain medication and sent me on my way. The pain meds worked wonders and I slept soundly through the entire night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been checking your blog for days hoping to hear how you were doing in Africa. How awful to be sick there. Please hurry with the next update!