Thursday, February 26, 2009

GOOOOD MORNING, UGANDA!

As I post this, it's almost noon local time, and 4 am back home.  My body feels like it's been dragged across the Sahara and back again, but I'm happy.  I SAW AFRICA out my window this morning!  Actually, I saw a golf course, but I'M IN AFRICA!!!! 

Anyway, we landed in Entebbe at 1:30 am, after boarding the flight in Amsterdam, being delayed due to the Turkish flight crashing, having to wait until emergency crews cleared the area, THEN having to turn around mid-flight due to hydraulic problems.  In all, we didn't actually get to Entebbe until 5 1/2 hours after scheduled arrival.  BUT, we are safe and have all our luggage!  Praise God!

When I stepped off the plane, I realized QUICKLY that I wasn't in Kansas anymore.  The air was humid and warm, mosquitos EVERYWHERE, and the smell of a barnyard permeated everything.  And SILENCE!  Not like back home where there's always some noise intruding. No, the silence was refreshing and comforting.  

Once we made it to Kampala (about 30 minute drive from Entebbe), we settled into our room, took showers (but were careful to keep our faces out of the water due to the risk of parasites), and settled in for the night.  I slept like a rock, only waking when Sandy called to see if we wanted to get lunch.  (We're supposed to be meeting her now!)

I don't know what today holds, but I'll be taking pictures.  I'm rather frustrated because my computer isn't picking up the internet, so I have to use Kimmie's.  It'll make things more difficult, but I'll get some pics up.  

Thanks everyone for your prayers, don't worry about me, and keep in touch!

No comments: